An attorney whose name is synonymous with medical malpractice and professional liability defense in Southern California, David O'Keefe has demonstrated intelligence, civility and exemplary trial skills during the four decades he has practiced law.
He is widely recognized for his victories in numerous complex trials alleging medical, psychiatric and emotional injuries caused by malpractice. Cases involving birth injuries, head trauma, emergency medicine, plastic surgery and anesthesiology are among his areas of expertise.
"Every case has its weak points and we work to find them," is how David explains his outstanding record of trial achievement. Persuasion, ethical considerations, risk reduction and clear communication are his guiding tenets when defending clients in malpractice and professional liability lawsuits.
David has served as lead counsel in more than 250 jury trials and arbitrations and is a member of numerous leading professional organizations including the American Board of Trial Advocates, the American College of Trial Lawyers as well as the International Academy of Trial Lawyers. These organizations which are by invitation only are comprised only of the most experienced trial attorneys in the country.
Representative Matters Include:
- Defense of emergency room physician against improper treatment claims in the accidental drowning death of a toddler.
- Defense of elder abuse case involving a dependent, brain damaged male, confined to long term care facility.
- Defense of landowner in complex liability litigation involving an elevator shaft accident that resulted in an employee's quadriplegia.
- Defense of religious organizations and other nonprofit groups in personal injury and abuse claims.
- Numerous medical malpractice defense verdicts involving catastrophic injuries alleged against obstetricians, neurosurgeons, psychiatrists, anesthesiologists, cosmetic surgeons and physician practice groups.
- Acting on behalf of religious organizations, defending against personal injury liability and property claims.
Known as a lawyer's lawyer for the many attorneys he represents in their own matters, David plays a leadership role in the Los Angeles legal community. He frequently presents seminars and lectures to medical and legal professionals. Among the topics he speaks on are preventing misdiagnosis, medical documentation, new legal restrictions and courtroom conduct and techniques.